Generally, the pet door size chart recommendations are as follows:
- Small: cats up to 24 pounds, dogs up to 9 pounds.
- Medium: dogs up to 40 pounds.
- Large: dogs up to 100 pounds.
- Extra-large: dogs up to 220 pounds.
Our beloved pets come in all different shapes and sizes. What better way to give them a life of leisure than with access to the backyard whenever they want? Installing a pet door gives your furry friends easy outdoor access, freedom to roam and exercise.
Pet Door Size Advice
It isn’t always so simple of a choice, however. These are other variables to consider that can affect which size pet door you should buy:
- Will I always have a pet this size?
- Will I ever have multiple pets of different sizes?
Pet doors come in different sizes and widths for different breeds. Remember, most pets duck their heads and lift their feet, so the opening doesn’t always have to be the exact height of your pet. Small and large pets may be able to share a pet door if it doesn’t require a lot of force to open.
Recommended Pet Door Sizes
There are a variety of different pet door manufactures. Glass Doctor recommends pet doors built with quality materials that will seal out the elements and endure years of regular use. Some manufactures offer electronic models for elderly or small pets. Look for models that are available in a variety of finishes to match your home’s interior. Pet doors may be installed into an existing door, but in some cases, it may be easier to buy a door with the pet door pre-installed.
Recommendations for pet door sizes are:
› Small – cats up to 24 pounds, dogs up to 9 pounds.
- Opening for pet: 6ʺ x 7ʺ
- Installation hole size: 9ʺ x 10ʺ
- Installation height: 2 to 4 inches
› Medium – dogs up to 40 pounds.
- Opening for pet: 9ʺ x 12ʺ
- Installation hole size: 11ʺ x 15ʺ
- Installation height: 4 to 6 inches
› Large – dogs up to 100 pounds.
- Opening for pet: 12ʺ x 16ʺ
- Installation hole size: 15ʺ x 19ʺ
- Installation height: 8 to 10 inches
› Extra-large – dogs up to 220 pounds.
- Opening for pet: 13ʺ x 19ʺ
- Installation hole size: 18ʺ x 25ʺ
- Installation height: 12 to 14 inches
Consult with the pet door manufacture for exact measurements – remember the size of the hole that needs to be cut for installation will be larger than the opening for the pet. The installation height is measured from the floor to the bottom of the pet door frame.
Pet Door Installation
Correct installation is important, too, as is the height from the bottom edge of the door to the floor. Glass Doctor can help with pet door installation to ensure a weather-tight seal and reliable operation. Just call (833) 365-2927 or schedule an appointment online.
Sometimes pets are a little skeptical of pet doors. At first, it can hard to train them to use the new door. The best way to encourage use is a reward system. Use treats to make them feel comfortable. Make your own pet treats at home with help from Mr. Appliance, part of Neighbor’s trusted network of home service brands.